Re: ls defaults...

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:58:31 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:18:15 +0000
> Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know the story behind the apparent change in default 'ls' output
> > on Debian - at least compared to all of the other Linux (and Unix) systems
> > I have used?
> >
> > The difference I am referring to is the date format used when the
> > '-l' option is used.
> >
> > For example, "ls -ld ." on the following systems produces:
> > SuSE:
> > 	drwxr-xr-x   50 digbyt   digbyt       8192 Feb  6 17:28 .
> > Gentoo:
> > 	drwxr-xr-x  40 digbyt digbyt 4096 Feb  8 14:35 .
> > BSD/OS
> > 	drwxr-xr-x  2 digbyt  digbyt  14848 Feb  9 02:05 .
> > Solaris:
> > 	drwxr-x--x  16 digbyt   staff       1024 Jan 28 08:31 .
> > But on Debian:
> > 	drwxr-xr-x  22 digbyt digbyt 2048 2006-02-09 01:55 .
> >
> > I know I can produce the traditional format using
> > 	ls -l --time-style=locale
> > and the default seems to correspond to
> > 	ls -l --time-style=long-iso
> >
> > But why has what I thought was a standard install produced a different
> > default to all the other systems I have tried, and how do I change this
> > default system wide (not just my personal account)? I really want the
> > change to Debian to be as invisible as possible to normal users...
>
> I don't know the answer to your questions above, but you can always put an alias in /etc/profile which is the global profile for all bash shells.
>
> alias ls='ls --time-style=locale'
>
> should do it.

except that most local users will have a different alias for ls set in .bashrc.... i had the same phenomona here... my locales were set to en_US .. I had problem upgrading locales lately... but #export LC_TIME=POSIX , or LC_ALL=POSIX, fixed the problem you are having (in my current xterm)... i'd say check your locales, mine seemed to have changed too.