Re: Logging of mail events from Postfix to syslog and rotation of the mail logs

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:27:11PM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Yes, I believe so. The global option is 'weekly' and files in the
> > > /etc/logrotate.d directory override that. I.e. if postifx doesn't have
> > > logrotation defined anywhere else, you can just create a file in
> > > logrotate.d and that should do the trick.
> > >
> > > Simo
> >
> > I created that script, called it postfix and tested it out and it runs but not
> > the way I wanted it to.  The following is the script that I used:
> >
> > /var/log/mail.* {
> >         daily
> >         missingok
> >         rotate 28
> >         compress
> >         delaycompress
> >         notifempty
> >         create 640 root adm
> >         sharedscripts
> > }
> >
> > It works but not the way I wan it to.  Here is a list of the mail logs after
> > three days:
> >
> > user@foo:~$ ls -lh /var/log/mail.*
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm    0 2006-02-07 03:30 /var/log/mail.err
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm   88 2006-02-06 15:40 /var/log/mail.err.1
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm    0 2006-02-02 08:30 /var/log/mail.info
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm 1.3M 2006-02-08 09:13 /var/log/mail.log
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm    0 2006-02-08 03:30 /var/log/mail.log.1
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm 4.9M 2006-02-08 03:30 /var/log/mail.log.1.1
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm 477K 2006-02-08 03:30 /var/log/mail.log.2.gz
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm  23K 2006-02-08 09:11 /var/log/mail.warn
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm    0 2006-02-08 03:30 /var/log/mail.warn.1
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm  52K 2006-02-08 03:25 /var/log/mail.warn.1.1
> > -rw-r-----  1 root adm 7.5K 2006-02-08 03:30 /var/log/mail.warn.2.gz
> >
> > Notice that it put a .1 at the end of a log already with a .1 and the
> > original .1 is 0 bytes in size.  I don't know why this is happening but I
> > need it to be sequential like the following:
> >
> > mail.log
> > mail.log.0
> > mail.log.1.gz
> > mail.log.2.gz
> > .... etc.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Hi,
>
> Loose the '*'. Otherwise it will consider already rotated logs as log
> files to be rotated. I.e after first day you have mail.log and
> mail.log.1 and they are both considered as log files.
>
> You can put a separate entry for each log file into the same file.
>
> Something like:
>
> /var/log/mail.log {
>          daily
>          missingok
>          rotate 28
>          compress
> }
>
> /var/log/mail.info {
>          daily
>          missingok
>          rotate 28
>          compress
> }

Just another thought (right after I sent this :). The global options
might confuse other scripts, so maybe it is best to put the options to
each file separately even though they are the same. Just to be on the
safe side :)

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature