Re: Udev & Usbkey problems

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:13:59 -0700
"John W. M. Stevens" <john@betelgeuse.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:02:13PM -0600, Jacob S wrote:
> >
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I just upgraded Sid to the latest packages today. I also got my
> > usbkey back from warranty repair by the manufacturer.
> >
> > I have tested the key in OS X on an iBook and it works great.
> > However, when I plug it into my Debian Sid box, syslog fills up
> > with the following errors:
> >
> > Feb  6 14:43:45 jacob kernel: usb-storage: device scan complete
> > Feb  6 14:43:45 jacob kernel: ioctl_internal_command: <4 0 0 0>
> > return code = 8000002
> > Feb  6 14:43:45 jacob kernel:    : Current: sense key: No Sense
> > Feb  6 14:43:45 jacob kernel:     Additional sense: No additional
> > sense information
> > Feb  6 14:43:45 jacob kernel: ioctl_internal_command: <4 0 0 0>
> > return code = 8000002
> > Feb  6 14:43:45 jacob kernel:    : Current: sense key: No Sense
> > Feb  6 14:43:45 jacob kernel:     Additional sense: No additional
> > sense information
> > Feb  6 14:43:47 jacob kernel: ioctl_internal_command:
> > <4 0 0 0> return code = 8000002
>
> This is suspicious, as it looks like your device is either damaged,
> or out of spec.
>
> Can you recompile your kernel to turn on verbose USB debugging?

:-( That wasn't the answer I wanted to hear. Especially since they just
replaced it on warranty. Oh well. Better to deal with it now than have
it break when I need to get critical data off of it.

I will try to recompile with debugging enabled. It will probably be
later this week, so I will post back here after it is done.

> > I'm using a 2.6.12-1-k7 kernel. I tried restarting udev and
> > eventually even rebooted (yes, I know that shouldn't be needed). I
> > also made sure I didn't have any udev rules in my rules.local file
> > that would be affecting it.
> >
> > A google search of this problem on lists.debian.org comes up empty.
> > Searching the whole web for this problem comes up with more than a
> > dozen hits of a single guy reporting this problem to the linux
> > kernel e-mail list in May 2005 with no replies.
> >
> > Anyone have some clues how I might be able to fix this?
>
> It looks like a device problem.  You'd need to turn on debugging
> (I recommend both USB and SCSI) to get a better feel for what is
> failing.
>
> When turned on, verbose USB debugging output will tell me what
> commands are being sent to the device, and how it is responding
> to them.

Thanks. I'll report back as soon as I get more (debugging) info.

Jacob