lilo installing to other than MBR

I am trying to allow OS/2's BootManager to own the MBR on the hard drive.

ThinkPad 600E with 40GB IDE drive.
Debian Sarge 3.1 / expert26
OS/2 eComStation 1.2 Media Refresh

The installer correctly offers /dev/hda7 as a partition to put lilo on, but selecting that option leads to a red screen of death error.

Lilo has been our standard as we use XFS as our Linux FS, and there at one point was an error with Lilo + XFS, so have not tried that combo since.

Any suggestions as to how to:

1) Find the root of the error or
2) Maybe some command line magic to get Lilo installed outside of the installer?

TIA!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems