Re: (SOLVED, but...) Changing fonts in Seamonkey Mail panels

Felix Miata wrote:
Marc Shapiro wrote:

I have been unable to find any play on the mozilla.org site to ask
this question, so I am hoping that someone here can help me.

I am trying to change the fonts used in the various panels in
Seamonkey Mail.  I am using the same profile as I use for the
Mozilla Suite, but the displayed fonts are not the same (or the
display of them is handled differently).  The fonts used by the
Mozilla Suite are much more readable than those used for Seamonkey.
Changes to 'Edit/Preferences/Appearance/Fonts are only supposed to
affect web pages, not the folder and message lists of Seamonkey,
itself.

Moz and SM and Firefox UI fonts are managed with CSS, something not particularly easy for a CSS novice to get a handle on. Users can
change them using the file chrome/userChrome.css in your profile
directory. The one you'll want to start with is probably
treechildren, in the form used on:
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#usercss , probably something like "treechildren {font-size: 9pt !important; font-family:
 'dejavu sans' !important;}".

That solved that problem. I used Arial, 10pt and it looks just fine in the folder and thread panes.

Now for the continuation of the problem:

In the message pane the postings appear in various different fonts due to the preferences set by the sender. Normally, this is not a problem. Variety is just fine. But I found 1 (one) posting that comes through virtually unreadable. It is very blocky, looking like the print from a bad 9-pin dot matrix printer from the 80's.

The message in question was from David Baron, this morning. The subject was "Re: Where does a guy get KDE 3.5?"

Now, I don't think that this is due to David's settings, since I have received other posts from him today that were perfectly clear and readable. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to avoid it. I don't want to force all messages to display in the same font, necessarily. I think what I want is to figure out what font that message was using and force only that font to something more readable. Does anyone know how I might do that? I did not see anything at http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#usercss which seemed to be what I needed.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com