Re: USB flash drive not automounting or mounting

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:06:19PM -0800, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> On Sunday 05 February 2006 7:50 pm, Andrew Sackville-West so eloquently
> stated:
> > Maybe because the error message from mount is correct?  That
> > "special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist?"
>
> >do you have udev rules to create the device?
>
> Good question.

<deleted>

Debian by default does not provide rules to generically create devices for
flash drives.  I have no doubt that if you were to actually *look* in /dev,
you do not have any reference to the sdb1 device.

This is, of course, why udev is an abomination.  Persistent naming is all
very well, but whatever idiot decided that it was both a good thing that
people shouldn't be allowed to look in /dev (the Gnome camp... it's too
complicated for the idiot user), and to delete 90% of its contents, should
be shot.

--
 Marc Wilson |     I saw what you did and I know who you are.
 msw@cox.net |