RE: RTC !??

>This has been in my /etc/modules from the start. For a while now, (most
>recent?) 2.6 kernels, this will not load "device not found". Since it did not
>seem to effect anything, I just let it be. (Note I have both a rtc.ko and
>rtcgen.ko in my kernel's modules.)

>Finally, an app kicked! Playing with the latest Dynebolic 1.4.1 running in
>Qemu (1.1 ran very nicely without complaint), I got a non-fatal error message
>unable to set rtc to some parameter 1024. It suggested running in a 2.6 host
>kernel (2.6.15 at your service!) or echoing 1024 into a file on some /proc
>subdirectory (I have no such subdirectory in /proc).

More ...

I started /etc/module-ing rtc for use with lmsensors. The kernel config file
lists this as a "USB watchdog card". Maybe just because it is listed in this
group. Genrtc is a "generic" rtc driver for one who lacks this hardware
capability. As rtc used to work (or at least modprobe), I apparently have it.

Saw something interestic in my logchecks:
kernel: Generic RTD Driver v1.07

If I take this one off, the "real" one will modprobe :-)
Question is, who is loading genrtc BEFORE /etc/modules gets referenced?
Actually, I tried commenting it there and ... the error message remains so
something, somewhere is trying to load BOTH of them!

Anyone know anything about this?