Re: Debian executables...

> > Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
> >
> > I was rather hoping as a worst case to have gotten some form of
> > 'unsupported executable format' error message if there was a
> > compatability problem...
>
> Does this give you any insight?
>
> $ ld --version
> GNU ld version 2.16.91 20060118 Debian GNU/Linux
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 20060115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-7)
>
> $ gcc testmem2.c
> me@haggis:~$ file a.out
> a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
> GNU/Linux 2.2.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Well, on my old system I get
 % ld --version
GNU ld 2.11.90.0.29
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
  Supported emulations:
   elf_i386
   i386linux

And my stable Debian gives
 $ ld --version
GNU ld version 2.15
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

But I'm afraid I still don't see why my older compiler produces an
executable for '2.2.5', but the newer Debian ones quote a lower '2.2.0'..

What am I missing?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com