Re: Can't get 1153x864 resolution with 865 video and i810 driver

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:55:00PM -0500, J. Van Lierde wrote:
> Simo Kauppi wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:40:02AM -0500, J. Van Lierde wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >>I've been banging my head against this with no luck.
> >>
> >>I have an Asus P4p800-VM with integrated Intel 865 Graphics running
> >>testing.
> >>
> >>My problem is that I cannot get xorg to give me 1152x864 resolution.
> >>Xorg.0.log says there is "no mode of this name". I know the hardware can
> >>do this because Windows doesn't have a problem with this.
> >>
> >>I can get 1024x768 and 1280x1024.
> >>
> >>After googling, I have tried:
> >>- setting video ram to 16MB in the BIOS and in xorg.conf Device section.
> >>Xorg.0.log confirms that the driver sees 16MB.
> >>- setting the correct HorizSync and VertRefresh values in xorg.conf
> >>Monitor section. Xorg.0.log reports those values
> >>- inserting modelines in the Monitor section (the current ones are from
> >>what knoppix got from it's probe (they seemed reasonable). knoppix won't
> >>go above 1024x768). They don't seem to have any affect.
> >>
> >>Does anybody know what "no mode of this name" means? Does it mean that
> >>i810 can't do 1152x864? Does it mean I haven't told it how to do that
> >>mode?
> >
> >I think it means, that the video bios does not know that mode. Have you
> >checked if there is a newer bios for your mobo?
> >
> >I've heard that there are resolution problems with Intel chipsets in X.
> >Have you tried the package 915resolution?
> >
> >$ aptitude show 915resolution
> >Package: 915resolution
> >[snip]
> >
> >HTH
> >Simo
> >

>    Wow, thanks! All that googling, and not a hint of this utility.
>
> I've got xorg recognizing 1152x864 (no complaints in Xorg.0.log), but
> when I switch to that resolution, I get a blank screen. The monitor's on
> screen menus don't even work, so the monitor is real unhappy. Lower
> resolutions work fine.
>
> xvidtune reports identical modeline parameters as I get with this
> monitor on another Debian system running XFree86 (I'm switching with a
> KVM), so I'm at a loss as to how to attack this.  Any ideas?
>
> I'm sooo close.
>
> /icebiker

Did you try the usual "switch to the console and then back to X" trick?
I.e. Ctrl-Atl-F1 Alt-F7.

Also, try without the Modelines in your xorg.conf, if you haven't
already. Just put the HorizSync and VertRefresh in your Monitor section
and the desired Modes in your Screen section.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature