Re: use stable/unstable source at the same time

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 04:14:31AM -0800, Rodney wrote:
>On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:00:10 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:11:53AM +0000, John Halton wrote:
>>>On 03/02/06, Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
>[edit-delete]
>>>>
>>>My understanding was that if you have more than two repositories then it
>>>is better to use pinning, using /etc/apt/preferences, so you can set
>>>different priorities for each of the non-default releases.
>>
>> AFAIK setting APT::Default-Release is an easier way than pinning.
>> Personally I avoid pinning as far as possible...
>>
>>>The exact configuration then depends on which of the three repositories
>>>you want to prioritise - i.e. do you want to track stable but having
>>>testing/unstable packages available, or do you want to track testing or
>>>unstable.
>>
>> The APT::Default-Release does that too. E.g. I have testing, unstable and
>> experimental in my APT source.list. With "APT::Default-Release
>> "unstable";" I get the following
>>
>>  % apt-cache policy alsa-utils
>>  alsa-utils:
>>    Installed: (none)
>>    Candidate: 1.0.10-1
>>    Version table:
>>       1.0.10+1.0.11rc2-1 0
>>            1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org experimental/main Packages
>>       1.0.10-1 0
>>          500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org testing/main Packages
>>          990 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>>
>> So "apt-get install alsa-utils" will install the package from unstable,
>> while experimental and testing is available. I need pinning to keep a
>> package in testing from being upgraded to unstable though.
>>

>Isn't the last line you wrote one of the things poster John H. was
>writing about when suggested pining was better for a mixed system? If
>you need to pin anything, you need to understand how to pin, so why
>"avoid pining as much as possibble"? I know pining can be confusing
>because I am new at this myself but learning how to hold packages with
>pinning and set priorities for upgrade of certain packages seems to me
>to be important for someone running a mixed system, which is generally
>considered an advanced concept. I'm not condeming your answer, just
>trying to understand.

From John H's post:

  My understanding was that if you have more than two repositories then
  it is better to use pinning, using /etc/apt/preferences, so you can
  set different priorities for each of the non-default releases.

I understood that as "use pinning to set priorities when you have more
than two repositories". I thing that statement isn't very good. I think
APT::Default-Release is easier to use to pick the preferred release and
pinning is only necessary to control individual packages' upgrade
policy.

The output from 'apt-cache policy' was meant to show that "apt does the
right thing" when APT::Default-Release is set.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results.
     -- Albert Einstein