Re: Questions on Securing Debian Howto

On 2 Feb 2006 15:26:15 -0800
"nddias" <nathan.d.dias@gmail.com> wrote:

> 4.2.2 Security update of the Kernel
>
> I recompiled and installed a 2.6.8 kernel w/ local APIC support
> disabled because I was getting "spurious interrupt" messages. I also
> enabled Athlon support.

There are kernel packages for Athlon (the ones with k7) and you can disable local APIC with boot option 'noapic'

> Will apt/dpkg still be able to detect when
> kernel updates are necessary according to this section? Or am I on my
> own to maintain my custom kernel?

I think so... AFAIK apt keeps track only of it's own packages. Even if you built it with make-kpkg it probably won't get updated.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)