Re: MySQL configuration problem

the error message tells you the problem -

" error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'"

mysqladmin -uroot -pmy-password should work for you.

If you are just learning mysql the following website has been unbelievably helpful.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/index.html

Craig Russell

Ed wrote:

I'm less worried about the ssl problem I've been having then the MySQL settup problem I'm having. I'm trying to get it settup so I can do some experiments and learn how it works.

I'm first trying to set up some users but it fails out right away with access problems:
falcon:/var/www# mysqladmin -u root password 'my-password'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

This works:

falcon:/var/www# mysqlshow -p
Enter password: