khubd timed out

I have two boxes - both Sarge but with a 2.6.11 kernel built from kernel-source-2.6.11_2.6.11.orig.tar.gz which I downloaded from testing last summer. One box accepts usb devices (usb storage, Wacom tablet) with no problem the other does not reporting a series of "khubd timed out ..." messages. The kernels for the two boxes are identical as I copied the kernel source and .config files from the box which accepts the usb devices to the other box, unzipped and un-tarred the source files and compiled a new kernel with the copied .config file. The two boxes do not have an identical set of Sarge programs as they are used for different purposes but dmesg, syslog and kern.log give me no clue why the second box will not accept the usb devices other than the khubd timed out messages.

Does anyone have suggestions where I should look for the root of this problem?

Tom George