RE: 2.6.15 alsa problem

>Also a problem in 2.6.14. I am not using udev or devfs but have explicitely
>created /dev nodes (old fashioned way and far far too many entries, but ...
>always worked before).

>Newer kernels boot with many undefines. They seem to correspond to stuff in
>the sound core modules. Do I now need to explicitely load these or
>soundcore.ko on boot up (i.e. placing them in /etc/modules--somewhere along
>the line, snd_seq_midi had to be placed there!). Anybody doing this? (Guess
>it wouldn't hurt to try it.)

>Easy enough -- didn't work. It is as if these modules are not exporting their
>symbols correctly.

Made a kernel with alsa sound support compiled in! I also compiled in the
"generic" devices. Result: NO UNDEFINED. My three (a set ncards = 3) became
dummy, virmidi and the ensonic. The ensonic did not play, however, but the
alsa restore on bootup failed because of the 1st two. Kmixer settings are
restored but have no effect.

So I am trying to build it with just the alsa core compiled in and hopefully
the three cards will be the mpu401, usb-audio and ensonic loaded as modules
as before. Wish this did not take so long to try out :-)