Re: Not a Debian question, but you guys know this stuff...

Tyson Varosyan wrote:

Given the fact that Katipo and Alvin were the only ones to reply to this
thread and nether proved to know anything about how to resolve my issue, I
thought that I should post the resolution here so that others looking for
the answer later would not have to bother the resident smart-asses on this
board.

Again, I apologize for posting a Windows-based problem on this board, but I
did so with the assumption that there would be many Apache users here and
that the more experienced ones may know how to help me in Windows and Linux.

That being said, the Apache manual is a bit misleading in that it says that
in order to accomplish what I needed, httpd would have to be installed
multiple times. However, when running the installation program on the
machine that already had it installed, you are confronted with a "repair" or
"uninstall" options - installation of another instance is not an option.

I felt rather thick-headed after 4+ hours of research into the problem. It
seems that Virtual Hosts work for most people, so this issue is not
discussed very much on the support forums. Unfortunately for me, the scripts
that we run refer to paths in a way that does not allow them to work
properly under Virtual Hosts.

Cutting to the chaise, I should have thought of the solution sooner, but the
idea eventually came to me. Instead of installing httpd multiple times, I
wonder if the same installation can be executed multiple times with
different variables. After reading the manual and messing around with the
configuration script, I finally got it to work.

#1: Edit your httpd.conf file. Find the line that reads "listen :80" and
replace it with the IP of website #1 followed by the port. Ie: listen
206.110.16.25:80
#2: Copy your httpd.conf file and give it a new name like httpd#2.conf
#3: Edit httpd#2.conf and edit the Listen command with the IP and Port of
your second website.
#4: Also Edit the DocumentRoot statement with a path to the root directory
of your second website. (Obviously create this new directory)
#5 Save the file.
#6 Click START, RUN, type in CMD and click OK.
#7 In the command window, browse to the folder containing apache.exe
#8 run apache -f "C:\Progra~1\Apache~2\Apache2\conf\httpd#2.conf"

Bingo! You have 2 instances of Apache server running on your box, each with
it's own config file and it's own root directory.

Katipo and Alvin, feel free to read this procedure and pass it off as your
own in the future. Sorry that I made you feel so incompetent. Being a
Systems Admin for a multitude of customers ranging from Dental Clinics to
5000+ server Datacenters, I have not come into much contact with Apache. I
thought you assholes, could serve to provide some help with this obvious
error in the Apache documentation, but instead I reinforced my belief in the
reasons why most people use software that has documentation and phone
numbers to call for help.

Tyson Varosyan
Technical Manager, Uptime Technical Solutions LLC.
tyson@up-times.com
www.up-times.com
206-715-TECH (8324)

UpTime/OnTime/AnyTime