Internal USB Card Reader Problem

I'm having a problem with my internal USB card reader, a Carry Computer
Eng., Co., Ltd 6-in-1 Card Reader.  After I made the mistake of sticking
a bad CF card in it to see if I could get the card working, the reader
no longer works.  When I stick a known good card in and try to access it
(using cfdisk:  cfdisk /dev/sda), I get this error:

FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive
Press any key to exit cfdisk

This was working fine before I attempted to read the bad card.  I'm
pretty sure that just doing a reboot will fix the problem (that's done
the job before).  However, I would really like to find out if there is a
way to get this working again without a reboot, what with me being busy
with other things online and not wanting to interrupt what I'm doing
right now.

So how about it?  What is the invocation to bring this reader back to
life?  FWIW, here is what lsmod shows (well, at least the entries
relevant to this device...)

usb_storage            65408  0
ide_cd,ide_disk,ide_generic,generic,usb_storage,amd74xx
aic7xxx               152788  0
scsi_transport_spi     19328  1 aic7xxx
scsi_mod              126120  5
libata,sd_mod,usb_storage,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi
ehci_hcd               29064  0
ohci_hcd               17860  0
usbcore               113924  4 usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd