Re: 2.6.8 Kernel Problem with Stable

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:46:21 -0600
D <awrasman@enchanted.net> wrote:

> I just installed a server with stable.
>
> So I have the 2.6.8 kernsl as packaged from debian.
>
> This is a 1U server and I've already used the only PCI  slot
> available for a tape backup.
>
> The system has an onboard ATI RAGE card.
>
> I'd like to to use the atyfb for the console.
>
> The one problem I'm hacing I can't send the options for resolution
> to the driver.
>
> I can't seem to be able to send options to the driver.
>
> It ships as a module.
>
> So I looked to see what options it will take:
> # modinfo atyfb
> filename: /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-686-smp/kernel/drivers/video/aty/atyfb.ko
> license:        GPL
> vermagic:       2.6.8-2-686-smp SMP preempt 686 gcc-3.3
> depends:        cfbfillrect,cfbimgblt,cfbcopyarea
>

> So there are no options I can send it.
>
> Is there a way around this besides compiling my own kernel with it
> compiled in?
>
> This would appear to me to make the atyfb unusable unless the defaults
> are what you want.
>

> --

First you need to put the module in your initrd. If you use yaird you can accomplish this by adding

OPTIONAL MODULE atyfb

before or after the 'fbcon' module. Then do 'dpkg-reconfigure kernel-image-your-version' to rebuild the initrd. Then you need to pass 'vga=atyfb:1024x768-16@75' to the kernel. Adjust to you needs.

HTH
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)