Re: Program Needs libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Hal Vaughan wrote:
I had to upgrade my workstation recently and am using Unstable for
several reasons.

I just reinstalled RealVNC (not a .deb).  The server runs fine, but when I try
to run vncviewer, I get this:

[hal@workstation:~]$ vncviewer
vncviewer: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3:

I know there's been some kind of issue in Debian about handling the upgrade
with the changes in C libraries, but I know very little about C and am not
sure what package would contain this program or if it conflicts with other
libraries.

On my Sid system I have the library as a symlink

/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so

and it came from the package "libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2". This package is
available on both Etch and Sid. Maybe installing it is enough to solve
your problem.

If your problem persists even with the library installed then it might
help to run "ldd -v vncviewer" to get more information.

I've searched and found a few pages that tell me to create a symlink to
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2, but that file doesn't exist either.  I have been
using aptitude, since I understand that is recommended for Sarge and later,
but I tried apt-file search to find a .deb with either of these files, and it
doesn't seem to be working at all.  I am not a C programmer, but I know there
is an issue with an upgrade of glibc, so I don't want to just start
installing libs when that could cause a conflict.  I'd search on debian.org
for the .deb, but the packages section is down.

I think you are on safe side with respect to the C++-libraries as long
as you use apt-get or aptitude with only official Debian repositories in
the sources.list. If you select something that is incompatible you will
notice it immediately since apt(itude) will tell you that it has to
remove a lot of other packages for the installation. Then you still have
the opportunity to cancel the whole thing.

Regards,
           Florian