Re: Package repositories?

Rob Blomquist wrote:

I'm pretty new to this Debian adventure, and I am only currently set up
with the default package sources. Where is the best place to find others
to use?

I would love to find the Adobe Acrobat Reader, a JVM package and a
source like the Penguin Liberation Front (plf.zarb.org) for Mandriva, so
that I could easily get the goods I need without the hassle of security
guards.

Rob

The Debian NewbieDOC note http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/index.php/Unofficial_Debian_packages may get you started.

Googling for "java linux download" gives
http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp
for downloading the linux self-extracting file and a link to manual install instructions. Its very straightforward.

Googling for "acrobat reader linux download" gives
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=unix
Follow the link for "Acrobat Reader for UNIX - English" and select the .tar.gz version

You will have to do something like
$ tar -xzvf AdbeRdr70_linux_enu.tar.gz
to unpack the file ($ is the commandline prompt).

Read the README file thus created for installation instructions for the tarball installer. Here are the instructions you will see:
1. Make sure you have at least 110 MB of available disk space
2. Run "tar -zxvf AdbeRdr70_linux_enu.tar.gz"
3. Run the "INSTALL" script in the "AdobeReader" directory thus created

Good luck,
Chris.