Re: Hardware RAID, software RAID, 3ware 9550SX, level 1 vs. level 5

According to Joseph H. Fry,
> I am partial to software raid for one important reason.... longevity.  One
> great thing about linux is that it rarely makes something entirely
> obsolete... and even if it does, you can always download previous versions of
> your favorite distro... an array created by mdadm today will likely be
> readable by most linux distros for many years to come.
>
> this is unlike hardware which can become almost impossible to replace in a few
> months sometimes.  I've heard stories about hardware controllers that
> wouldn't read data from arrays created by previous versions of the same model
> controller due to an updated bios, and it was almost impossible to get the
> previous version from the manufacturer.
>
> As far as the best redundancy... I like raid 50.  Raid 50 is essentially a
> raid 5 array that is mirrored to another raid 5 array... this protects from
> multi-drive failures as long as one of the raid 5 arrays only suffers a
> single drive failure... if both have multiple failures you may be able to ...

Personally, I prefer Google's approach (I was at an event on
this very topic event at their Mountain View campus yesterday).
They don't try to achieve fault-tolerance in a single system-
They achieve their incredible reliability and performance by
spreading load redundantly over many hosts.  It's RAIH, not RAID.

That's my 2 cents!

Tony