Re: IDE PCI Advice Needed

On Friday 27 January 2006 14:32, Stan Banash wrote:
> All,
>
> I am currently trying to build out a new Debian system
> and am having some issues with getting the IDE PCI
> card drivers installed.  I'm relatively new at setting
> up Debian and have been working this issue for several
> days now.  That said, here are the specifics:
>
> System:
> Dell Optiplex GX1P, 768MB Ram, 600 MHz CPU (PIII),
> 33MHz bus w/4 PCI slots, ATI RAGE PRO TURBO video
> chip, Bios version A10, IDE (DMA/ATA) on board.
>
> New IDE PCI Card:
> Highpoint Rocket 133 (Ultra ATA /PCI - 33/66)
>
> Hard Drives:
> Primary Maxtor (20GB)
> Secondary Maxtor (250GB) - thus the need for the Ultra
> ATA card.
>
> Installtion process:
> I installed the new card in the system and connected
> the drives as specified in the manual, i.e. set the
> jumpers and plugged them into the board.
>
> I am installing from a CDROM disk (Sarge) Linux Kernel
> 2.4.2-27 (Yes I know it is not the latest available).
> When the installation  procedure gets to the
> recognizing the IDE Drives for setting up the
> partitions it fails to find the driver. After checking
> the drivers on the RAM disk, I see that the needed
> driver "HPT302.o" is not there. I have managed to get
> the driver code from Highpoint and compile it against
> the 2.4.2-27 kernel on my laptop.
>
> So this is where I am now stuck - How can I get the
> HPT302.o driver file into the installation package in
> the CD image so that the Debian installer can find it
> and load it during installation?
>
> If that is not the best or easiest approach to take, I
> would like to know.  Otherwise, any advice that you
> might have would be appreciated.  I mean really,
> others must have done this sometime.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Stan

Hi Stan,

You have a couple of options.  First, you can use a bootable CD distro (like
Knoppix) and install from the live CD.  Since you can boot up fully and
have net access without needing your drive, you can create the needed
kernel module against the CD's kernel, and then install.  This web page is
a little old, but it should give you the right ideas:
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Alternately, you can replace the install kernel of the debian-installer.
There are instructions on the wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerModify

Good luck,
Justin Guerin