Re: What is with the new GPL 3?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:59:34 -0700
Joseph Smidt <jsmidt@byu.edu> wrote:

> I was reading this article:
> http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/software/stories/133137.html where they talk
> about how Linus is against the new GPL lisence.  I was wondering why.  Why
> not be for it.  In the article he hints that it would lead to people losing
> their private keys.  Can that really be true?

This was discussed on the almighty totem of great wisdom, /., the other day. This particular bit was apparently a misunderstanding. IIRC, the private key requirement is that in the case where a specific private key is REQUIRED to compile/run the software, then it must be included with the code to meet gpl3. If the software requires a private key to operate, but anybody can supply their own private key, then fine, no issue. And of course, if no key is required at all, then fine as well. I have not RTFA or read GPLv3, just regurgitating others comments for your pleasure. chewing not required.

 I was wondering what the