Re: Running a remote graphic program

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 10:21 -0800, Alejandro Salas wrote:
> Hi everyone..
>
> Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction
> of what I have to do in order to run a remote program
> with graphics?. I have ssh access and everything, I
> suppose it has something to do with the DISPLAY
> variable, but I'm not sure of exactly what to do.

well, do some googling ("x remote program") to start off with. not to be
rude, but this is very standard stuff and there are hundreds of howtos
out there. that being said, heres what you want to be aware of:

*) the old way of authorizing xclients to connect to an xserver was via
xhost. dont use that method, its very insecure.

*) instead tunnel everything through ssh
   i turn that on by default for my ssh server:

   $ grep X11Forwarding /etc/ssh/sshd_config
   X11Forwarding yes
   (restart the server for this to take affect,
    /etc/init.d/ssh restart)

   and for the client:

   $ grep ForwardX11 /etc/ssh/ssh_config
   ForwardX11 yes