Re: mysql 5.0

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 09:56:37AM +0800, linux china wrote:
Yes, My system is woody, 3.0 r4. could I apt-get upgrade, then system will
be at the same level as sarge? and I could install mysql 5.0 from backport,
I not very sure.

You could upgrade to sarge from woody, but I can't tell you that you _should_ do so. There's always the possibility of breaking something. If you do decide to make the upgrade, the general recommendations I gleaned from this list when sarge was released as stable follow:

Install aptitude, if you haven't. Change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to stable or sarge rather than woody. Update your package list with aptitude update, and then attempt the system upgrade with aptitude dist-upgrade. You could use apt-get as well, but my understanding was that aptitude was better at resolving the sort of dependency issues you can get into during a system upgrade.

If you would rather not upgrade your system you could always attempt to either use the mysql binaries from mysql.com, or build the source yourself and install it manually, perhaps using checkinstall to make sure it is added to your package system.

That's about as much as I know at this point. Good luck.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/