Re: Newbie needs help with LAN set up

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
On Thursday 26 January 2006 15:21, j Mak wrote:
> First off, I am a newbie in Linux and
> networking. I have two computers, both about four years old and both
> have built in Ethernet and LAN support. One runs ubuntu ant other
> sarge. The one with sarge connected to the Internet with dial-up
> modem. Both works perfectly. I want to hook the two computers
> together to be able to share printers, scanners and the Internet.
> Because I have little understanding about setting up a LAN, I am
> following a tutorial, I found on the Internet. So far this is what I
> have done. I bought a crossover wire and hooked up the computers. I
> tested the one with ubuntu installed with the "ifconfig eth0" command
> and was confirmed that the eth0 works. The one with sarge installed
> however doesn't recognize the eth0 interface. I get the following
> message: eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Humm, possibly the module that runs your hardware isn't present or
loaded. On the machine that fails eth0, what does an lspci report?

This is the output.

debian:/home/mak# lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
0000:00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
0000:00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)
0000:00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)
0000:00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
0000:00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3)
debian:/home/mak#

--
Cheers, Gene
stupid bounce rules. I do use spamassassin too. :-)