missing packages..

Still finishing off my first Debian install, and am puzzling
over the apparent absence of some very basic programs which
I thought were pretty much universally available on *nix
systems...

Can anyone tell me why 'apt-cache search' doesn't find the
likes of the following:

1. xv - John Bradley's X image viewer/manipulator..
2. xlock - I don't use it for locking the screen, but it is
   a good for benchmarking x-servers because most systems have it...
3. mplayer - most players work ok with mpeg etc, but this is the
   one with which I have had the most success with troublesome
   formats like wmv.

Am I just searching in the wrong place, or does the Debian package
selection really lack some very fundamental utilities, does anyone
know of the explanation?

Perhaps there are newer alternatives that are considered better,
but I would rather use the same programs on the various computers
that I need to use, and to date these have always been the common
denominators...

I assume there won't be any problem installing a tarball in the
traditional way, but I want to make sure that not duplicating
effort if a debian package exists somewhere I havn't looked...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com