Re: 32bit debian on 64bit hardware

Darryl Clarke wrote:
On 26/01/06, Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@sagacit.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm just curious, I have a mailserver at work which runs Sarge,
installed from the normal i386 CD, onto a 64bit enabled Sempron along
with the K8 kernel.  When I do uname -a I get this:

Linux mercury 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8 #1 Mon May 30 22:15:15 UTC 2005 x86_64
GNU/Linux

I tought x86_64 means I'm running a 64bit OS?  Or does it simply show
the underlying hardware architecture?

It means you have a 64bit kernel installed.  Which would say to me
it's been installed as a 64bit OS.

To be specific the kernel package is:
linux-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8

--
~ Darryl  ~ smartssa@gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com

It just means the kernel is compiled to take advantage of the specific hardware, but in 32 bit emulation mode, instead of the more generic kernel. Its like using the P4, i586, 686, k7 kernel instead of the generic.

If you have installed the i386 cd you are definately running a 32 bit OS.

HTH

Wackojacko