Re: Mac OS X and Linux Zeroconf LAN irregularities

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:04:38 -0500
Chinook <chinook.nr@tds.net> wrote:

> Chinook wrote:
> > Mac OS X and Linux Zeroconf LAN irregularities
> > I would like to at least understand, if not remedy,
> > an annoyance in establishing the connection between
> > my Mac and my Linux box.  I have yet to find anything
> > constructive relative to the issue via the google
> > shuffle or manual pages.  Any thoughts, experiences
> > and/or further troubleshooting steps would be
> > appreciated.  Thank you.
> > Installation:
> >

> > PMac G5 running OS X Tiger (10.4.4)
> > Linux printer is shared with Mac via CUPS,
> > not classic AppleTalk.
> >

> > P4 with Debian Etch (testing), kernel 2.6.12-1-686,
> > Gnome desktop and USB attached printer and scanner.
> > With netatalk 2.0.3-4 and task-howl (0.9.5-2), which
> > includes the howl mdnsresponder (0.9.5-2), installed.
> > Only the netatalk afpd and cnid_metad deamons are
> > being run.
> >

> > hardwired ethernet with the Mac and Linux box connected
> > to a Belkin 4 port router
> > Trials:
> >

> > If I boot up both my Mac and Linux box:
> > Linux has autoipd, mDNSResponder and nifd daemons running.
> > Mac has mDNSResponder and netinfod daemons running (don't
> > know which others are pertinent to note).
> >

> > If on my Mac in a Finder pane I click Network -> My Network
> > -> debian1 -> Connect then I get the message:
> >    AFP connection status
> >    Looking up "debian1.local.."  which times out with the message:
> >    Connection failed - server may not exist blah blah
> >       In can however, on my Mac in the Finder menu bar select
> > Go -> Connect to Server -> enter afp://192.168.2.48/
> > (my Linux box) -> enter user and password of shared
> > directory -> select share to mount; and I have my
> > connection.  If I dismount the share though, within a
> > session, and try to connect again this method works and
> > the Finder pane method still does not.
> >
> > Alternatively, on my Linux box I can run the cli
> > # /etc/init.d/mdnsresponder restart
> > Then back on my Mac the Finder pane method of establishing
> > a connection (that failed above) works as it should.
> > Further, I can dismount the share and reconnect with this
> > method any number of times in the same session, and even
> > reconnect with this method after rebooting only my Mac.  However, if I
> > reboot my Linux box I'm back to Finder menu
> > bar or mdnsresponder restart reconnect choices.
> >
> > What the above trials tell me is that if I restart
> > mdnsreaponder then everything is "peachy" until my Linux
> > box is rebooted.  What they do not tell me is if there is
> > something flakey with mdnsresponder, my Linux installation,
> > an incompatibility with Tiger, or even some other
> > interference on either box.

Lee, I don't know a thing about mDNS* and other packages you mention, but my gut feeling on your above trial is that your startup scripts are simply in the wrong order. IOW, mDNSresponder relies on some other service in order to function properly, but that service comes up after mdsn* in the startup under a normal boot. By manually restarting it later you are making it work because whatever service was required is now up and running. So, as a temporary fix, while you try to find the real problem (could even be a bug in the install) you could change the startup script order using update-rc.d (man page will tell all, but watch out for the periods (.) in the command line.). Something like <making up numbers here>:

update-rc.d mdnsresponder start 85 2 3 4 5 . stop 85 1 6 .

look at what the defaults for mdnsresponder are before making adjustments.