Re: How to minimize /dev (using udev)?

Magnus Therning wrote:
I am somewhat surprised to find so many devices in /dev when using udev
(on Sid):

 % ls /dev|wc -l
 662

More than 600 entries in /dev is hardly the lean mean /dev promised by
udev...

AFAIK, I don't use udev, and I get

# ls /dev | wc -l
7529

Hmm, 91% reduction doesn't seem bad.

Under other Linux distros I've ended up with _far_fewer_ devices. Are

I use Fedora Core.

all devices in /dev created by udev under Debian, or is there some other
tool that creates additional ones?
How can I get rid of the ones I don't need?

How do you know which ones you don't need?

# du -s /dev
572     /dev

1/2 Meg doesn't look like a lot of space to me. What are you
trying to conserve?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.