DVD burner optimization (or how to avoid crappy burns)

I've been burning for about a year with my ultra cheapy
MicroAdvantage DVD burner.

It seems to work, but I've noticed on a majority of the disks I've
burned, somewhere midway in the disc it'll kinda crap out and show
compression artifacts, get jerky for a few moments (usually under 30
seconds), and just plain be a nuisance.  This will usually affect
only around a 5% time duration of the video if that.  Ie., I can
usually still watch the DVD.  It's just annoying though.

I've been suggested to burn at a slower rate, and I've switched to
running growisofs with -speed=1, and that has helped (I think
anyway), but I still get the above problem _sometimes_ (with
identical content).  Again, it's an intermittant problem, so I can't
quite put my finger on what the problem is stemming from.

This could be a fluke, but it seems I have better luck when I burn a
disc from the terminal fresh after booting into Linux and before I
log into any window manager.  I need to test this some more.

Anyway, my question is: are there any other ways I can adjust my
system/burn process to prevent artifacts, etc. from creep onto the
DVD?  Would 'hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd' maybe help?  Or maybe using 'nice'?

FYI, here's the command I run to burn a disc:
growisofs -speed=1 -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video DVD/

Thanks for reading!
Eric P.