urgent newbie question : ssh : problem with variable inside ssh session

Hello

I have a problem in a ssh script:
ssh host << EOF
for o in /directory/*
    cp -pr /directory/* /other_location

the problem is that variable o isn t created in fact. It seems that the it is created  on the remote machine (normal) but cannot be printable on the local.
what is the reason    ?
Can someone give me in depth  explanation
I have tried --tt option whithout any result

Why does it works in a interactive ssh session,  the  variable is  however also created on the remote machine ?

Thanks for reply

Stephane

Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international. Téléchargez la version beta.