Re: Marvell SATA Driver

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:15:55 +1100 Vaibhav Agrawal
> <vaibhav@apollolifesciences.com> wrote:
>

> Hi All, I'm not able to install Debian Stable 3.1 r1 on Super Micro
> Server 6014H-T, during installation when it reaches the partition
> hd section, it says can not find any media to partition. I know the
> problem here is the SATA controller which is Marvell (Adaptec)
> 4-port / 8-port SATA Driver (Hercules-II), I can install Windows
> 2003 Server after downloading and installing addition drivers from
> Supermicro website.
>
> The other option i have got is to install SUSE or FreeBSD, but I
> don't wanted to install anything other than Debian.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>

>> google is your friend.
>
>> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#marvell

> Regards, Vaibhav.
>
> -- =========================================== == Vaibhav
> Agrawal == == Apollo Life Sciences
> == == 147 Queen St, Level 1 == == Beaconsfield
> NSW 2015 == == Australia ==
> == phone: 02-9310 1800 == == fax: 02-9699
> 8615 == == vaibhav@ApolloLifeSciences.com ==

> The information contained in this e-mail message, including any
> attachments, is confidential, subject to copyright, and maybe the
> subject of legal and other privilege. Any dissemination,
> distribution, or copying of this message, in its entirety or part
> by any entity apart from the intended recipient is strictly
> prohibited. Please accept our apologies if you are not the intended
> recipient. If you think that you have received this e-mail message
> in error, please e-mail the sender and destroy the original message
> without making a copy. Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the
> email has not been altered or corrupted during transmission. Thank
> you.

I successfully compiled and insmod the driver during debian
installation, just before the installer check for partionable media.
Installer found the hard disk and installed the base system and then
reboot. Then it through a kernel panic, after saying "FATAL module
mvSata not found".
I understand the reason for this, the module is on the hard disk which
the system can not use without access to the hard disk.
I also
1. cp mv_sata.ko /target/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-ct-1/kernel/drivers/scsi,
2. update-modules
3. depmod -d /target -a -C /target/etc/modules.conf

but i can't create a initrd image using
mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-ct-1 2.6.8-2-ct-1

if the image is not correct, it will not load the module and fail

any other ideas???

currently i'm considering other options like
1. have the root partition (containing the module) on a usb stick and
then load the other partition on the sata hard drive later,
2. buying another sata contoller supported by debian

any help will be appreciated.

please don't let me part from debian :(

- --
listmaster@lists.debian.org