Re: problem with pppoeconf: not starting at boot time.

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
Hi,

I use Etch, up to date, and I have a pppoe internet connection.
the problem is though I answer "OK" to tell I want the connection to be
launched at boot, it does not launch itself at boot.
It only launches when I run pppoeconf.
After running pppoeconf, "poff" and "pon dsl-provider" are efficient.
If I just reboot then launch "pon dsl-provider" (because the connection
is not up), nothing happen to the network settings.
If I try "invoke-rc.d networking restart", nothing too.
When running pppoeconf, the internet connection is on ppp0, and the
modem is on the eth1. eth0 is used for the LAN, for me.

What to do? is it a knonw bug?

I already load the NIC module (8139too & via_rhine in /etc/modules)

It's just a guess, but maybe pppoe and the library rp-pppoe.so are started/loaded by pppoeconf. dsl-provider normally does these tasks, but it may be misconfigured for your system, whereas pppoeconfig passes on the right parameters as supplied by you. I can vaguely recall having to manually change dsl-provider, so I don't think it's automatically modified by pppoeconf.