xorg 2.6.12 kernel and modules

Hi,

My background is running testing on a epia motherboard (386 compatible cpu), which has via graphic build in.

I figured out that the xorg (6.8.2.dfsg.1-11 (testing)) package has the via drivers included, but the via module is missing from the 2.6.12 (linux-kernel-2.6.12-1-386, testing) kernel package. Unable to locate the source for the kernel modules in the xorg source package I downloaded and compiled (with the kernel sources) the modules in unichrome_20051018.orig.tar.gz. The unichrome project maintained a via driver for X, but that driver is now in xorg. I found no information of the dependences between xorg and kernel versions: to compile the modules I had to disable the check for CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG which is not defined in $kernelsource/.config file but in $kernelsource/arch/i386/defconfig.

To load the via module I have to unload the drm module supplied with the kernel and use the drm module compiled along with the via module. Otherwise I get an unresolved symbol error from insmod.

X starts now with the via driver and accepts connections, but leaves me with a blank screen. As a fall back I am using the vesa driver which works only for lower resolutions and has no graphic acceleration.

I guess my questions are: How are the kernel xorg dependences maintained and where can I get the correct via kernel module?

Btw, the alsa sound seems to work according to /proc, except that no sound is generated.

Thank you for any comment!

Achim