Re: x window / starting the desktop

thierry wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Hope this helps you understand things.

Thank you for these explanations, I was using, and wondering about all this since I moved to linux,for over a year now. Thanks again.

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

Kent, that has to be one of the best down-and-dirty explanations I've ever seen. Certainly helped me a lot.
Glad y'all got something out of it. I appreciate the comments.

Now, just for kicks, did you know you can start up multiple instances of X, on the same box (say, one for you, one for the wife, one for the kid, etc)?

Say you've logged into KDE. Switch to a virtual terminal (say, Ctrl-Alt-F2), and let the wife log in. Create/edit a "~/.initrc" file for her with the manager/environment of her choice, and then start X with "startx -- :1 &".

Ctrl-Alt-F3 to the third VT, and let the kid log in. Create/edit a "~/.xinitrc" for him, and "startx -- :2 &".

Now you've got three instances of X running; one for you, one for the wife, and one for the kid. You can switch between them with Ctrl-Alt-[ F7 | F8 | F9 ]. You can have KDE on one window, and Gnome on the other two. Or KDE and Gnome and Fluxbox. Put a password/screensaver on your screen to keep the kids and wife out of your setup. Now you no longer need to shut down your 14 programs and log out just so your kid can log in and play "beneath-a-steel-sky".

--
Kent