Graphics problems with X on iBook 2.2

Hopefully this is the right list to ask these questions. If not, gently
refer me to the proper list. :-)

I've just installed Debian 3.1 r1a on my Apple iBook. I bought it in
2002, so from what I've been able to gather from online docs, it's an
iBook 2.2; although I'm not sure that's the case nor where to verify it.

I used the network install CD, and installed only the base system, plus
issued these two commands as root:

apt-get install telnetd
apt-get install x-window-system

My problem is that when I issue the command "startx", I get a graphics
display with a mouse cursor that looks right, but everything else is
just a mess. It seems the graphics "slant" to the right.

I'm an experienced computer user with a degree in Computer Science, but
my Unix/Linux knowledge is fairly limited. This is the crux of my
problem; I can probably understand the docs if I read them, but I know
next to nothing about X Windows nor where to begin looking.

Can anybody help me with getting X to look right? :-)

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Patrick Meade
veloxi@ticon.net