Re: How to combine computers?

Marty wrote:
Joseph Smidt wrote:
I'm sure you all have seen places where their are many computers networked
together.  Form any one of them you can access any of the accounts of the
others.  Multiple computers running the same system, like at office
computers all tied together.  My question is how do you do it?  I have two
computers and I want it so I can be one either one and run the same Debian
accounts.  I have hardware to link the two computers, but how do I connect
them software wise?

I think the "traditional" (i.e. commercia) Unix approach is automounted home directories: e.g. as described in http://docs.hp.com/en/B1031-90057/ch03s03.html Judging from this list, it seems to be rarely used in Debian, so I'm not sure how well it's supported.

Other directories (e.g. /usr/local/) may be shared as well, and in the extreme case, clients may remote boot and be diskless except for swap or local data. These seem to be rare even in Unix installations, nevermind Debian.

Throw in NIS or LDAP complexities and you will probably have your hands full. Unless you have prior experience, or are very ambitious, you probably want a mini-Howto on this topic. Let me know if you find it.

It wasn't until after I posted that I recalled reading about a Sarge-based distro called Skolinux. At first glance it seems to be more of a "diskless" (thin client) approach, but I think it's largely applicable to other, less server-centric approaches:

http://www.skolelinux.org/portal/