Re: gs-esp, gs-gpl or gs-afpl?

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 12:38:27PM -0500, H.S. wrote:

> While reading another post here, I noticed gs-afpl was giving smaller
> PDF files of these gs-* options to a user.
>
> Which of the three is 'better'? Or, which of the three makes 'best' PS
> or PDF files? Any recommendations?

Unfortunately it's hard to say which flavor is "best".  Depending on
what exactly you need to do, or which feature is involved, there will
be subtle differences and occasionally even bugs in certain versions.
It's not only AFPL vs. GPL or ESP, the specific version matters just as
much. I know this isn't much help, but it's probably best to just try...

I've been using gs for many years now, and due to subtle "issues",
which often vary from version to version, I've gotten into the habit
to always keep several versions around.  If something fails to work,
sometimes even an older version does help...
This is not to belittle ghostscript's usefulness or anything.  Quite
the contrary, it's an excellent piece of work, and I'm very grateful
it exists. It's just the complexity of the subject matter at hand...

Almut