Re: Gmail & Maildirs [Was: Re: GMail like offline email client]

On 1/21/06, Peter McAlpine <peter@aoeu.ca> wrote:
> It would be an interesting (and probably not too difficult) task to
> implement this with procmail and a couple scripts to hardlink emails
> into different Maildir directories.  Then pick your client of choice.
> In my case I'd pick mutt, which has limitless options for shortcuts.

I like this idea.  Let me see if I have logic right in my head:

Fetchmail retrieves messages and are "sent" to
Procmail which filters messages and creates appropriate hard links in maildirs
Mutt or other reads messages and replys are sent to exim4.

I haven't worked with alot of mail setups so please let me know if I'm off base.

I'm not sure how to setup exim for outbound though.  I don't want my
outbound to be handled the same way as the default (local only or from
a dyndns address).  Do I have to change this through my mail reader or
can exim be configured to use a different smarthost for each user?

Dave