Re: system hosed by udev in dist-upgrade

Matt Price wrote:
hey folks,

so, I am trying to update a sid system that hasn't seen much use for a
while, so I did an apt-get dist-upgrade.  I had been running a 2.6.10
kernel, so the new udev wouldn't install properly and I ended up with
1500 incompletely installed packages.  So, with a certain
amount of effort, I installed a 2.6.15 kernel & rebooted.
first sign something was wrong came when I found I couldn't ssh into
the system.  fortunately there's a monitor attached, I found I could
log in andthat it had booted fine, but that, while partitions on my
scsi bus had mounted fine, none of the hda partitions had mounted
properly -- I assume because of udev problems.  This may be jumping to
ocnclusions though; /dev/sda & /dev/sdb devices exist, but no /dev/hda
can be found.  I've never had problems with that disk, though, and it
seemsunlikely it just failed right when I was installing an ew system!

unfortunately /var/cache/apt/archives is a symlink pointing to a
directory on another partition.  since I can't mount that partition, I
can't run apt-get install -f, so can't install udev, so can't fix the
absence of device nodes which makes it impossible to mount the
partition which makes it impossible to run apt-get ...
So it semes to me I have to somehow temporarily run udev, or
temporarily disable udev, or something, so that I can create the
/dev/hda devices I need to mount the relevant partitions.  BUt I don't
know how to do that.
Can anyone give me some advice?

thanks,

matt

.''`. Matt Price : :' : Debian User
`. `'` 	     & hemi-geek

Matt

I no expert, but i used MAKEDEV to create a missing /dev link to a joystick point that wasn't there. Might be worth a try. See the man page for more info.

HTH

Wackojacko