Re: Sarge AMD64 installation won't boot

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> I now have an AMD64 running the 2.6.12 kernel.
>
> But:

Before going any further, I should mention again that this is *not*
the best list for solving AMD64 issues.  The debian-amd64 list is.
There are AMD64 users here, to be sure; but there are more of them
there, as well as members of the AMD64 port team, so you're more
likely to get good answers to your questions.  Plus, the archives
of that list contain all kinds of useful info.  For instance,
the answers to the questions you ask in this email have been
discussed over there, multiple times, recently.  Hint hint.

> (1)  unless I am mistaken, the 2.6.12 kernel isn't there as an installed
> package recognised bu aptitude.

Correct.  The kernel versions that are on the standard sarge installer,
and that sit in the sarge repository, are behind-the-times for AMD64
use (for example, probably all AMD64 boards have SATA, and many (most?)
AMD64 users use an SATA drive; 2.6.8's SATA support is for crap).
The purpose of the custom install medium you used is to provide you
with a more up-to-date kernel -- the one that's being used in the
current etch installers.

> (2) I don't have the 2.6.12 headers I'm going to need to compile nvidia
> drivers.  Where can I find them?

>From the AMD64 repositories for etch.  You can either update your
sources.list to include them, apt-get update, fetch what you need,
and change them back; or you can download them directly (e.g.
through your web browser) and install them with "dpkg -i".

-c