Re: virtual machine

VMware should work fine for you. I have used GSX to run production
servers and it has been very stable.

I don't use the workstation version very extensively but I have
friends that have had some serious file corruption when running XP
with it. It works fine usually, just be sure to backup your data
_very_ regularly.

Note that you'll have a serious performance hit when you're running
VMware, so if you are running incredibly complicated computations on a
virtual machine be prepared to wait longer for results than you would
if it were your host OS.

-Peter