Re: Support for usb digital cameras in sarge 2.6.8-2-386 kernel

On Saturday 21 January 2006 05:00 am, steef wrote:
> Wu-Kung Sun wrote:
> >When I switched from Knoppix to Debian when Sarge went stable, I lost
> >the ability to use my usb digital camera (neither usb-uhci or usb-ohci
> >modules were installed).  Several months ago I asked and someone said
> >I have to recompile the kernel.  I couldn't believe that everyone
> >using Sarge had to recompile to use a camera (they're not everywhere
> >but they're no so uncommon) but I didn't have time to learn how to
> >recompile at the time.  Now that I'm going to install an ati 9600xt
> >I'm going to have to recompile anyway.  I'm leary of making mistakes
> >that'll take too long to recover from so my question is: is it correct
> >that everyone with Sarge must recompile to use a digital camera?  If
> >not, what do I need to do?
> >
> >Thank you,
> >--
> >swk
>
> ...maybe you thought already of this....... but yet:
>
> install gphoto2. might contain a driver of your camera. just to see what
> it does: do  $ man gphoto2.
> like someone else pointed out: it is absolutely not necessary to
> recompile a kernel on behalf of looking to a usb_memory_stick.
>
> for the sony of my youngest daughter:
>
> i did # mkdir /mnt/camera.
>
> and in fstab something like:
>
> /mnt/camera /mnt/sda1   vfat,auto   user,defaults   0    0.
>

> on this way i could *empty* the memory-stick.card of the sony-camera.
> you can also install pmount hal etc. to avoid to be forced using fstab,
> if i still remember well.
>
> cordially,
>
> steef

I posted this to another Debian group, maybee it will help.

I run Debian Testing/Unstable the version of gphoto2 is 2.1.6. I had been
trying to get my Kodak CD40 to work through gthumb or gtkcam or whatever.
It would not. However, when running Ubuntu 5.10 which also runs gphoto2
2.1.6. It does, out of the box. So I start by recompiling my kernel about
100 times in debian thinking I must have some sort of USB type support
disabled since I have hardly used Ubuntu and the kernel is still stock.
Turns out, I find by checking the Ubuntu libraries for
gphoto2, /usr/lib/gphoto2 that there are 53 files 1.1MB. While in Debian
there 53 files 1MB. Strange. So I do the obvious and copy all
the /usr/lib/ghoto2 libraries from Ubuntu 5.10 installation over to Debian
and just like magic my camera now works in Debian. Don't quite understand why,
but, Its true. Just a thought for someone with digital camera troubles.

This camera is recognized on my system as a usb ptp class camera.

Dan
--
Registered Linux User 404680