Re: Support for usb digital cameras in sarge 2.6.8-2-386 kernel

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 18:43 -0800, Wu-Kung Sun wrote:
> When I switched from Knoppix to Debian when Sarge went stable, I lost
> the ability to use my usb digital camera (neither usb-uhci or usb-ohci
> modules were installed).  Several months ago I asked and someone said
> I have to recompile the kernel.  I couldn't believe that everyone
> using Sarge had to recompile to use a camera (they're not everywhere
> but they're no so uncommon) but I didn't have time to learn how to
> recompile at the time.  Now that I'm going to install an ati 9600xt
> I'm going to have to recompile anyway.  I'm leary of making mistakes
> that'll take too long to recover from so my question is: is it correct
> that everyone with Sarge must recompile to use a digital camera?  If
> not, what do I need to do?
>
> Thank you,
> --
> swk

Most digital cameras nowadays are really just glorified USB memory
sticks. If this is the case with you, try the following after you plug
in your camera as root:
modprobe usb-storage
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

--
Your mouse has moved.  Windows needs to be restarted for the
changes to take effect.  [OK]