What is gaim upto on my system?

Hi,

I noticed some slowness in certain simple tasts today e.g. changing
focus from mozilla to thunderbird. After noticing this 3-4 times in less
than 5minutes I checked the status with free:

$ free
Mem:        775600     765140      10460          0       5816      96792
-/+ buffers/cache:     662532     113068
Swap:       979924     979924          0

So the swap is 100% full and the RAM is hover at some where around 98%.
So a quick look at gnome system monitor shows is several gaim process
runing on the system. To be precise:

$ ps uax | grep gaim | wc -l
560

I had noticed a few days back that gaim had around 5 or 6 processes and
was surprised. I killed those and started it again. But 560 seems to be
way too much. Has anyone noticed this? Any reasons as to why this is
happenning?

Thanks,
/ks

ii  gaim           1.5.0+1.5.1cvs multi-protocol instant messaging client