Re: su/sudo cannot X

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:29:35 -0500
Lei Kong <lei.kong@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a strange problem with my thinkpad z60t, running debian testing.
> I ran these commands in konsole or xterm under kde:
>
> $xhost +
> $ sudo -s
> #kedit
> kedit: cannot connect to X server
>
> What is wrong?

If you just want to run one program try kdesu :

kdesu [someprogram]

: On the 'xhost +' thing. Doesn't seem like it would be good if the ability to run X programs as root in a terminal was denied from elsewhere and the user was allowed to change it. Did you try doing su first and then doing 'xhost +'?

When not using a display manager and logging in as a user and doing startx, then starting a root session in a terminal X programs work.

When using KDM, GDM, or WDM as the display manager only KDM causes this not to work by default. If you use GDM and run gdmsetup, it even has options to allow remote root log in, not sure how the options affect logging in remotely as a user and then doing su or sudo.

Later, Seeker