Re: firefox printing: extraneous printers, removing xprint and dependencies

On (18/01/06 21:35), Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I have several extraneous printers in my Firefox (1.07) print dialog
> in my pure sid system. They each end @:64  (such as hppsc1200@:64).
> The archives at

> suggest this is caused by Xprint being installed. I really don't care
> that these printers exist, except that they don't work correctly. I
> normally print with CUPS but the CUPS printers are not the default
> forcing me to manually select them each time :-(
>
> Okay, so, per the thread referenced above,
>
> sudo apt-get --purge remove xprint
>
> causes the always scary "other packages to be removed:
> x-window-system" etc etc etc. I'm pretty sure this is a meta-package
> and is not critical, especially as the whole operation will only free
> up about 4500k of disc space, which seems small to me for the entire
> x-window-system to be heading for the bin.
>
> So my questions: 1) are my assumptions regarding the meta-package
> correct? That is, I may break the meta-package, but not impact the
> underlying actual packages.
> 2) seeing as I'm pretty sure I don't actually use xprint, are there
> any reasons for keeping it around tht I might not be aware of? Such
> as, "its better than cups" or the like. the xprint website, while
> extensive couldn't really answer this fundamental question for me.

I can't remember the detail but I, like you, hesitated to remove xprint
in spite of the annoyances you refer to.  When I bit the bullet it was
fine; to be on the safe side you may want to make the changes from a
console rather than xterminal just in case something gets borked in your
X setup; recovery would be pretty straightforward that way.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...