Re: KDE Freezes and exits

Star King of the Grape Trees wrote:

ALWAYS use a subject!

El Virolo wrote:

Hi all,

I recently reinstalled Debian Sid on my Athlon XP machine, with KDE
3.5. The problem is I can't launch KDE : it freezes and gets back to
KDM as soon as it starts displaying "initializing hardware" ... Is
there a log file I can have a look at ? Is it a KDE or udev/hotplug
problem ?

Oh, a message with a subject line. Now I can pay attention to this post.

I'd probably start by trying to start KDE with the "startkde" command, rather than using a login manager or than by using "startx". (Disable any login managers first.)

Failing that, I'd put "startkde" in my "~/.xinitrc" file and try "startx".

A problem I've noticed in the past few weeks is improper ownership of "/tmp/.ICE-unix"; I believe a "chown -R root.root /tmp/.ICE-unix" has worked around this problem for me.

--
Kent