Enabling kinput2-canna

Aside from the key combinations in vim and emacs, I've never really
used an input method. But I now have canna and kinput2-canna installed
and nothing seems to happen.

Besides the raw installataion of the two packages and their
dependencies, what else do I need to do (install or configure) to use
kinput2 in, say, an application like abiword? It seems the
documentation on enabling the input method either doesn't work
("ctrl-space") or is non-existent or in Japanese.

--
Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt.