Replacing KDE shutdown dragon

Greetings:

I've been trying to replace that dragon on the KDE logoff gui. I'm running
Sarge on both the family desktop machine and on my laptop and found the
critter at /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/pics/shudownkong.png. If I change the
dragon's filename, the dragon disappears from the logoff. I tried
substituting another png file (renaming it shutdownkong.png in the proper
directory), but it won't display on the logoff gui. I've found only a couple
of other png files on the system that work (such as the kde bomb crash pic --
not quite what I want), but when I try using an image from KDE-Look.org that
I've prepped and saved as a png, it just won't display. What am I
overlooking?

Elmer